top of page

How To Get Green Card Through National Interest Waiver (NIW) Self-Petition

Updated: Dec 28, 2022

Applying for a green card normally requires having a sponsor in the United States. You can have a family-member or employer sponsor. However, there is another option — the self-petition category — that does not require the applicant to have a job offer from an employer, or a qualifying family member to provide sponsorship. There are several criteria, benefits, and categories which make you eligible to apply for a green card without a sponsor.

Benefits of Applying for Green Card Through Self Petition

The benefits of applying for a green card through self-petition include:

  • No need to secure a job offer from a U.S. employer

  • No need to wait for an approved Labor Certification

  • Relativity quick processing

  • No family-preference visa quotas due to visa limitations based on family relation

Overview Of National Interest Waiver (NIW)

The National Interest Waiver is a visa category where qualifying individuals have waived the requirement for securing sponsorship from a US employer or a labor certification because the individual’s employment in the U.S. would substantially benefit the nation.

NIW Requirements

To qualify for NIW, an individual must demonstrate:

  • A particular endeavor they plan to work on which is of substantial merit and national importance for the U.S.

  • They must be well positioned to advance their proposed endeavor

  • They must show that it is in the best national interest of the United States to grant them legal status to work permanently in the U.S.

Applying For A Green Card Through Self-Petition

Eligible applicants for a green card through a NIW self-petition may apply for permanent residency in either consular processing or adjustment of status. Applicants living outside the U.S. may apply for permanent residency through consular processing. Applicants applying by consular processing will submit their visa application to the NVC and attend a visa interview at an embassy or consulate.

Applicants living in the United States may apply for permanent residency through adjustment of status. Applicants applying through adjustment of status will file Form I-485 with USCIS and, attend a biometrics appointment and interview at a USCIS office.

If you are among those professionals who plan to immigrate to the U.S. but are confronted with the problem of not having a U.S. job offer or a company ready to sponsor you for a visa, you can fortunately apply for a green card through self-petition. The Law Office of S.A. Peterkin helps you apply for a green card through self-petition.

Call us at 321-325-1125, text us at 321-204-7718, or use our online contact form on our website to begin scheduling your Case Evaluation with Attorney Peterkin.

53 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page