top of page


Our office can assist you with visas of all classifications. In order to be admitted into the United States, a foreign-national needs either an immigrant visa or a nonimmigrant visa. Non- immigrant visas generally are for purposes of temporary admission into the United States.



Examples of nonimmigrant visas include:

  1. ​Work Visas

  2. Student Visas

  3. Visitors Visas

  4. Investment Visas

  5. Fiancé(e ) Visas

Each visa has its own respective criteria and application process. Be sure to consult with an experienced immigration attorney that will complete your forms correctly and without undue delay.

The fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa allows the foreign national fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to travel to the U.S. in order to marry their U.S. sponsor within 90 days of their arrival. As a fiancé(e) visa enables the holder to immigrate to the U.S., they must meet some of the eligibility requirements of an immigrant visa, for example, applicants will be required to present evidence to the consular officer that they will not become a public charge in the United States and to provide sufficient evidence of their commitment to true union with their fiancé(e).

A temporary work visa allows someone to lawfully work in the United States for a limited period of time. The available temporary work visas are created for specific types of workers and types of employment.  In order to obtain a temporary work visa, you must first determine which work visa, if any, works best for your particular circumstances. Once you determine which work visa you are eligible to pursue, the prospective employer will be required to file a nonimmigrant petition with the Department of Homeland Security. The application process is complex and lengthy so it is highly advised that the application be completed by an experience immigration attorney. The temporary work visa is only valid as long as the beneficiary is still employed with the company that petitioned for him/her.

The following is a list of common temporary work visas:

  1. E-1: This visa is for treaty traders and qualified employees;

  2. E-2: Treaty investors and qualified employees;

  3. H-1B: This is perhaps the most common temporary work visa. This visa is for workers in a specialty occupation;

  4. L-1A: This nonimmigrant, temporary work visa is for intracompany transferees in management or executive positions;

  5. R-1: Certain religious workers are eligible for temporary work visas in the U.S.

The main investor visas an individual could obtain are the EB-5 Visa for Job Creators and the E-2 Visa for Treaty Investors. Essentially, the EB-5 is for people who want to invest half a million to a million dollars in certain targeted regional areas. In order to qualify for E-2 classification, the immigrant must be a national of a treaty country, must have invested or be in the process of investing a significant amount of money in a bona fide enterprise in the United States, and be seeking to enter the country solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise. The E-2s are not as strict with monetary requirements.

Obtaining a business visa or investment visa can be a complex task depending on your situation. The first step in taking advantage of the investment and business opportunities that the United States offers is to choose which visa is best for you.

The Law Office of S.A. Peterkin can help determine which visa is most appropriate to enable you to accomplish your goals, and can help you seek and obtain the right visa for you by navigating you through the often complex application process. With our help, you have a greater chance of being granted the visa you need to achieve your goals.

bottom of page